Monday, March 23, 2015

Top 10 Books From My Childhood That I Would Love To Revisit

It's time again for The Broke and The Bookish's Top Ten Tuesday.

This weeks theme was:  Top 10 Books From My Childhood That I Would Love To Revisit

Considering I am just a little over two months away from being a new mom, this topic is actually something I have thought about a lot. I want to read to my daughter and hope that she grows to love reading as much as I do. 

So here is my list of books that I LOVED as a young kid and hope that my daughter might enjoy:

1. Sideways Stories from Wayside School by Louis Sachar: I honestly only remember one of the stories from this book (about a boy who could only get to the correct answer in math if he counted wrong), but I remember loving the quirkiness of this book.


2. Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein: This was a big part of my childhood and is already apart of my daughter's library.


3. You Are Special by Max Lucado: This is a popular one that reminds kids they are special just the way they are.
 

4. Dear Mr. Henshaw by Beverly Cleary: I can't remember what happened at all in this book, but I remember not being about to put it down. It was my favorite book for a few years.


5. The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs by Jon Scieska:Here's another silly one that tells the tale of a few fairy tales from another perspective.


6. Love You Forever by Robert Munisch: This book will forever remind me of my dad becasue it makes him cry.



7. The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein: Isn't Shel Silverstein just awesome?  How can he not end up on this list twice?


8. The New Kid on the Block by Jack Prelutsky: I loved Prelutsky as a kid and couldn't get enough of his silly poems.


9. Frog and Todd are Friends by Arnold Lobel: Who didn't love Frog and Toad as a kid?


10. Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark: This one was one of my favorites.  Apparently it's been banned for being too scary for children, but isn't that the entire point?  Hence the title!


2 comments:

  1. I loved reading your list! I loved so many of these books as a kid, especially Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs, and Love You, Forever. I even learned to read from Frog and Todd are friends. Such an amazing list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, love, love, love Where the Sidewalk Ends! Shel Silverstine has always been my favorite poet and I still re-read his books regularly. Sometimes, when we're bored, my sister and I will just pull out the book of poems and read some out to each other. All of these books have a place in my heart, though, I really enjoyed this list!

    Claire @ Cover to Cover

    ReplyDelete