Monday, December 15, 2014

Top Ten Books I Read In 2014

So far this year, I have read 90 books. This meant that I had quite a few to choose from for this particular week's meme, hosted by The Broke and The Bookish.

Here is my top ten of 2014:

1. Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides: This book is all about a hermaphrodite and the world they grow up in. It is fascinating and wonderful. 


 2. The Road by Cormac McCarthy: The majority of the population has been wiped out and a young boy and his father face the world that remains. Its a kill or be killed kind of world and you see the misery the father feels at knowing the joys and comfort his son will never really know. 



3. The Lord of the Flies by William Golding: I have heard several people over the years talk about how horrible this books is, and I figured it was time I found out for myself. Turns out, I really liked it. It was well written, captivating, and the imagery was phenomenal. No, the story isn't exactly uplifting, but does it have to be to make a book good?


4. Anne of Green Gables by LM Montgomery: This is a very cute, light-hearted story about a spunky girl who always tries to see the bright side of things. I loved it!


5. Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman: This is the first book I have read by either man and now I am eager to read more by both. The book was witty and macabre. I haven't yet read a book like this and was pleasantly surprised.


6. Its Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini:  Having suffered from depression all my life, this book hit the nail on the head as far as describing it. It was very relate-able and the end was filled with such hope. Its sad the author ended up caving to his depression.


7. A Visit From the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan: I didn't expect to like this book, and was surprised when it captivated me. Sometimes the grass isn't always greener on the other side.


8. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn: This book was extremely well written and full of surprises.  As much as I enjoyed it, I am not sure I can handle another Flynn novel.  She's pretty intense!


9. The Prisoner of Heaven by Carlos Ruiz Zafon:  Having read and loved Shadow of the Wind, I found myself disenchanted with the author when the sequel did not live up to expectations. I put off reading this book for so long, that I thought I might skip it all together. While not as good as the first book, the book is still wonderfully written and am very glad I decided to read it.


10. The Thousand Dollar Tan Line by Rob Thomas and Jennifer Graham: I loved the show Veronica Mars and when the movie came back to right all the wrongs (goodbye Piz!), I was thrilled but longed for more of her adventures.  I am happy that Rob Thomas felt the same and decided to start a book series.


No comments:

Post a Comment