Saturday, March 1, 2014

The Hobbit: 4 Stars


The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien

I know what you're thinking and yes, I seriously just read this for the first time. I really don't like fantasy books, but this is a classic and I have heard great things. Even my dad, who thinks The Lord of The Rings books are terrible, liked The Hobbit. So I figured I'd check it out. I was not disappointed.

Bilbo Baggins is a hobbit.  He likes to stay in his little hobbit hole and be alone.  It makes him happy.  But there's a part of him, deep down, that longs for adventure. This part of him is awoken when Gandalf the wizard appears one day and asks him to go.  Bilbo, being a hobbit, says no.  But that night, dwarfs appear.  They are going to get their long lost gold from inside a cave, guarded by a dragon, and Bilbo would be their thief!

Bilbo goes with the dwarfs and has a long adventure filled with goblins, trolls, elves, a dragon and, of course, Gollum.

It was a fun read filled with humor and action. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, despite fantasy not being my favorite genre.  Will I read The Lord of The Rings triliogy?  Um......probably not, but maybe someday.

Rating: PG


4 comments:

  1. The book was so good but the movies have been so...not good. Maybe Peter Jackson doesn't really have it after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am I think one of the few people who was not at all impressed with The Lord of The Rings, so I expected The Hobbit to be not that great. I really only watched it for Martin Freeman who is adorable.

      Delete
  2. It all good, I just read it for the first time last winter. It was really a fun read and I enjoyed it as well! I have The Lord of The Rings box set but I haven't got around to reading them yet. Honestly, I'm a bit intimidated by them. Lots of words I can't pronounce, you know, Elf Language lol!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not blame you. Considering Tolkien was an actual genius who wrote languages and complicated histories about this entire world, I am pretty sure even if I read it, I wouldn't understand half of it.

      Delete